Friday Harbor HS seniors beat staff in Grad Night fundraiser
- Published in Sports Photos
- 0 comments
The 2023 Friday Harbor High School senior class faced off against teachers, administrators, and coaches in the traditional fundraiser basketball team Friday, March 10. The standing room only crowd in Turnbull gym was treated to a close game - tied after the first half and at the end of regular time.
After two overtimes - first a five-second scoreless one followed by five-minute one - the seniors emerged victorious 47-46.
Photos by Sharon Kivisto
Players on both teams rotated throughout the game, with players switched out every four minutes.
Since this was a fundraiser for Grad Night, there were also other activities going on. The winning raffle ticket was drawn after the third quarter with an islander winning a bit over $400 cash. Bakery San Juan served up a taco dinner prior to the game. A silent auction of desserts also raised funds for the annual grad night.
The half-time show featured FHHS basketball players performing as cheerleaders. Dressed in cheer skirts and many sporting bows in their hair, they ended their routine with gymnastic moves.
The big money-maker was the jail staffed by the Sheriff, several deputies, and border patrol officers. People paid for others to be "arrested and jailed". The incarcerated counted on friends to bail them out, though there were several jail breaks throughout the game.
Latest from Sharon
- San Juan Island PHD meeting notes: Paramedic Weyshawn Koons received national award
- March 25: Celebrate San Juan National Monument's 10th anniversary in Friday Harbor
- $53K fine issued San Juan sand and gravel mine for water quality violations
- Mary (Molly) Frances O'Brien Killoran May 1940 - February 2023
- April 10-May 23: Introduction to Woodworking Course Offered by the EDC on Orcas Island