Eric Peter is running to be San Juan County Sheriff
Relationships matter. I am Eric Peter, and I am announcing my candidacy for San Juan County Sheriff. It is time for law enforcement to evolve past the current model of policing to relational policing, using the power of connection to build trust.
Relationships matter. I believe in fostering a law enforcement culture following my four-point plan: to ensure safety, communicate effectively, instill trust, and embrace transparency. We have a solemn duty to foster this by building relationships, treating all people with dignity and respect, dedication to equity and diversity.
I have been blessed to be part of this community and working for the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office on Orcas and San Juan Islands for the past five years. In addition to my roles a Patrol Sergeant on San Juan Island I serve as a trainer in progressive policing focusing on De-escalation, Communication Skills, and Emotional Intelligence. Training around the state has given me a clear vision for the future.
My wife and I came to San Juan County after falling in love with the islands years ago, traveling here any chance we could. We made the move to become full time residents after my retirement with the Houston Police Department in 2017 where I served since 1995. As an Officer for the Houston Police Department, I served as a Patrol Officer, working on various teams- Westside Gang Task Force, and Violent Crime Impact Team. As a Sergeant for Houston Police Department, I supervised the Northeast Patrol Division, Airport Division, Emergency Communications Division, Westside Patrol Division, and Westside Crime Analysis Unit. I carry this experience and lessons with me as I serve the people of San Juan County.
Relationships matter. My experience uniquely positions me to lead the department forward with my strong vision creating an environment of trust by forging stronger relationships with our community. I will create an environment of transparency by enhancing communication and growing a culture of safety by treating people with empathy and compassion, ensuring all members of the public feel heard. I am committed to growing our department’s diversity. Under my leadership we will advance training opportunities to improve department response. One of the most important tasks as a candidate and as the Sheriff’s Department is to listen. We’re just getting started. I want to hear from you.
Stay tuned for upcoming listening sessions for us to come together and learn from each other. I look forward to this opportunity in growing a deeper relationship with our extraordinary community. I appreciate and am humbled by your support.
- San Juan Island Library thanks community, looks forward
- Eric Peter elected San Juan County Sheriff, voter turnout 76 percent
- Levies, charter amendments fail, Peter leading Krebs
- San Juan County Road levy on November ballot
- Charter amendments will appear on November ballot in San Juan County
- Lawsuit filed against San Juan County after 4 Charter Amendments blocked from ballot
- Statement from Rick Larsen on initial primary election returns
- Ramel declares victory in primary election
- Lopez school levy passes easily
- San Juan County Seeks Pro & Con Committee Members for Voter’s Guide Pamphlet Statements
- Election security a key issue in the WA secretary of state race
- Election facts: Sgt Peter is not planning on firing staff; Sheriff Krebs took citizens on boat
- People needed to serve on San Juan County Elections Disability Advisory Committee
- District Court Judge Carolyn Jewett running for re-election
- Kulseth running for re-election as San Juan County Assessor
- Thinking about running for office? Filing week is May 16-20
- Jane Fuller running for Lopez seat on San Juan County Council
- Peterson seeking 3rd term as San Juan County Treasurer
- San Juan County Sheriff Ron Krebs running for re-election
- San Juan County Clerk Lisa Henderson running for re-election
- San Juan County Prosecutor won't seek 8th term
- Amy Vira running to be San Juan County Prosecutor
- Warmenhoven is running for San Juan County Auditor